The Irish Specimen Fish Committee
Founded in 1955, the ISFC is an independent voluntary body, representative of angling interests in Ireland, whose principal function is to verify, record and publicise the capture of large (i.e. specimen) fish caught on rod and line by anglers in Ireland, both in freshwater and marine waters. The Committee also ratifies Irish record rod caught fish. The ISFC coordinates and administers the unique specimen awards scheme which is designed to recognize any angler who catches a specimen fish and to publicise the angling venue. Successful anglers are awarded a certificate and a commemorative badge. Specially commissioned silver medals are presented to captors of record fish and special awards are also made to captors of multiple specimen fish (on a cumulative basis). This report is a detailed listing of all particulars relating to specimen and record fish captures in Irish waters in 2012. Over 28,000 claims have been received by the ISFC over the past 59 years. This dataset is one of the most valuable and long-running time-series of its type. It has been used extensively to provide documented proof of the angling value of different waters countrywide. In addition to their value for promotion of angling tourism, the annual reports provide invaluable information for anglers when planning angling trips, particularly those seeking a ‘specimen’.
In summary the ISFC service provides:
- Angling promotion and promotional material
- Highlights prime specimen fish locations
- Angling tourism support (Ireland & NI)
- Incentive for repeat visits to Ireland by tourists or to Irish venues by Irish anglers through the cumulative awards schemes (10 specimen award, 50 specimen award etc)
- Special awards for: young angler, overseas angler, fish of a lifetime award
- Data for Regional specimens/records
- Excellent information for specimen hunters
- Accurate collation of specimen fish data
- Verified reference material
- Highlights unusual specimen fish locations
- Biological material collected
- Focal point for unusual captures
As an independant voluntary body the IFSC relies on sponsorship for funding. A sincere thanks to our main sponsors IFI and the Loughs Agency, for their continued support over the years. The Trout Anglers Federation of Ireland and the Irish Charters Skippers Association and many anglers also contribute annually.
Irish Specimen Fish Committee Members 2015
Dr. Robert Rosell (AFBI), Chairman, Dr. William Roche, Secretary, Shane O’Reilly and Micheál Hennessy (Inland Fisheries Ireland), Alan McGurdy, Stewart McGrane (Game Angling), Dr. Edward Fahy, Dr. Patrick Boylan (Loughs Agency), Der Casey (Coarse Angling) and Brian Cooke (Sea Angling).